Mount Evans & Mount Bierstadt, A Double Crossing of the Sawtooth Ridge

When: August 2005
Partners: Solo
Route: The Sawtooth (Class 3)
Mileage/Gain: 4/1,500

Mount Evans from Mount Spalding

A few years ago, I made my first trip to Colorado. Hearing all of the wonderful things people are always saying about the high mountains of the state, I was eager to check it all out. And the 14ers seemed like a good place to start!

I drove out for a week of playing around and touring the state. Initially hitting Mount Evans early one morning, I made the fun and easy traverse across the connecting ridge to Mount Bierstadt, then returned the way I came. Terrific.

Flowers were in bloom, the weather was cool, calm and clear, and I was completely alone. Never saw a soul. Not one. 'Course, that's what a 4 a.m. start will do for ya!
Mount Bierstadt and The Sawtooth

TOPO