The Organ

The Organ from Cable Mountain

Dow Williams and I climbed the Southeast Chimney (II 5.6) on The Organ. An ancient route that probably hasn't been climbed in 25 years. Dirty and loose, but with great views. Although one beta source said 4 pitches, we found that it was better done in about 6 shorter pitches. The summit views were very, very nice.

Had a mini epic on the descent when a human-error rope issue had me hanging well off the deck. Long story short, I had to prussik up a short bit, tie an overhand, then set a new rappel off of the remaining strand. Not a major issue, once my partner and I figured out what the problem (and subsequent solution) was, but at the time...quite scary, particularly when stress and fear have your mind clouded over.

Many thanks to Dow for keeping a level-head while I was 80 feet up.

TOPO