Cathedral Peak, First of a 9-Peak Weekend

Where: Yosemite National Park, Sierra Nevada, California
When: May 2007
Partners: DB
Route: West Face (Class 4)
Mileage/Gain 6/2,000

Cathedral Peak from the southeast

It was mid-May 2007, and I was itching to take a trip back to Yosemite. I'd not been to Tuolumne in over a year, and there were a number of objectives I wanted to tick off on the 3-day weekend I had coming to me.

DB and I started with Cathedral Peak. Being fully aware of the classic nature of the peak's southeast buttress, I felt the climb would be a bit much for DB, so we opted for the tradition scrambling route up the west face. It was a delight!
Heading up the northwest slope of Cathedral Peak

Providing DB with a belay up the final, short pitch to the summit, we marveled in the awesome views that only Yosemite can provide. We also enjoyed looking over at Eichorn Pinnacle and watching a party of 3 climb in the early summer sunshine!
Looking down the south-facing chimney that leads one to the summit

With the ever-patient DB satisfied with a safe and successful climb of an iconic Yosemite peak, she settled in for a couple days of tourism...while I embarked on a frantic, solo, whirlwind blitz of peaks in the Tioga Pass area. What a weekend!
View west/southwest to Eichorn Pinnacle

TOPO

*Bottom three photos courtesy of Rick Kent