Mount Shavano & Tabeguache Peak (Two 14ers for Nearly the Price of One)

Where: Sawatch Range, Colorado
When: July 2008
Partners: Solo
Route: Blank Gulch & Traverse (Class 2)
Mileage/Gain: 10/5,000

Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak from the north

Setting off alone one morning from the Blank Gulch Trailhead, I made quick time up Mount Shavano, reaching the summit well ahead of others (the ones smart enough to sleep in a little).
Looking to Tabeguache Peak from Mount Shavano's summit

Oh yeah, and on the way up I snagged a couple decent photos of some bighorn sheep on the slope above me. They weren't as pleased by my presence as I was their's.
Bighorn sheep just above treeline on Mount Antero

Making the quick traverse to Tabeguache Peak, clouds began to form above the two peaks. Enjoying the views north to Mount Antero, North Carbonate, and even beyond toward Mount Princeton, I eventually dropped back down toward Shavano and worked my way back to the trail below the Shavano-Esprit Point saddle.
Looking east from below the summit of Tabeguache Peak

I returned to the trailhead a touch over five hours after beginning.

TOPO