Castle Peak & Conundrum Peak

When: September 2007
Partners: Solo
Route: Loop via NE Ridge of Castle (Class 2)
Mileage/Gain: 4/2,500

Pleasant views on the way up Castle Peak

The day after Andy and I traversed the Maroon Bells, I set out alone to bag Castle Peak and Conundrum Peak. DB, who was still healing from a June knee injury, gave it a valiant effort but soon turned back, as her progress was slow and we had a 9-hour drive home.

Racing up the standard route up Castle Peak, I passed a couple parties and arrived on top to two or three folks enjoying the views. I immediately passed by and dropped down toward the Castle-Conundrum saddle. From the saddle, the hike to Conundrum Peak's summit was short and simple. I enjoyed that summit alone.

Returning to the saddle, I dropped straight down one of the steep sand and snow gullies that lead to the bowl between the two peaks. Traversing the bowl was easy, and I was back at the vehicle in what felt like no time.
Conundrum Peak and the Conundrum Couloir

TOPO