Mount Edith - South Ridge (II, 5.4)

Where: Canadian Rockies, Alberta
When: July 2009
Partners: Dow Williams

Route-finding on the south ridge

Dow tossed out an idea for the Kain Route (III, 5.7) on Mount Louis and I started to drool. But it was gonna be 6 straight days of mountains for me, and I told him that I didn't know if I was game for a grade III route. How about something shorter, easier? He tossed out the south ridge (II, 5.4) of Mount Edith. The selected alpine guide said it was a 9ish hour car-to-car. Perfect!
On the summit

Six hours after starting from the car (including an hour spent looking for something I dropped near the summit -- ugh), we returned. I, for one, was stoked that the route was as enjoyable as it was. While a bit funky in a few places, the line was interesting and unusual, particularly a sustained (3-4 pitch), low-angle technical chimney/groove partway up. Funky!